Contemporary Christian music stands out from other modern Christian music by being lyrically focused on the Christian faith - unlike most Christian rock or Christian metal, where the religious themes are often secondary to the style. In the '90s contemporary Christian music's popularity surged right along with the other genres, moving into the notice of the mainstream.
With a multitude of bands across genres like grunge, alt-rock, country, and even rap, contemporary Christian music was a defining part of the music scene in the 1990s. For Christian millennials, that wide range of contemporary Christian artists and bands that emerged in the '90s provided a freedom to explore subculture and identity with their friends who weren't in the church. Artists Steven Curtis Chapman and Amy Grant made it onto a million slumber party mixtapes, while Petra offered a little more edge.
We've put together a list of some of the best '90s contemporary Christian bands, but if we're missing one be sure to add it to the list and vote up the best bands that played contemporary Christian music the 1990s.
- The Music of Christmas, All I Really Want for Christmas, Christmas Is All in the HeartSteven Curtis Chapman (born November 21, 1962) is an American contemporary Christian music singer, songwriter, record producer, actor, author, and social activist. After starting his career in the ...more
- Michael Whitaker Smith (born October 7, 1957) is an American musician, who has charted in both contemporary Christian and mainstream charts. His biggest success in mainstream music was in 1991 when ...more
- MercyMe is an American contemporary Christian music band founded in Edmond, Oklahoma. The band consists of lead vocalist Bart Millard, percussionist Robby Shaffer, bassist Nathan Cochran and ...more
- Jars of Clay is a Christian rock band from Nashville, Tennessee. They met at Greenville College in Greenville, Illinois.Jars of Clay consists of Dan Haseltine on vocals, Charlie Lowell on piano and ...more
- Newsboys (sometimes stylised as newsboys) are a Christian rock band founded in 1985 in Mooloolaba, Queensland, Australia by Peter Furler and George Perdikis. The band has released 17 studio albums, 6 ...more
- Richard Wayne Mullins (October 21, 1955 – September 19, 1997) was an American contemporary Christian music singer and songwriter best known for his worship songs "Awesome God" and "Step by Step". ...more
- Third Day is a Christian rock band formed in Marietta, Georgia during the 1990s. The band was founded by lead singer Mac Powell, guitarist Mark Lee and former member Billy Wilkins. The other band ...more
- Petra is a music group regarded as a pioneer of the Christian rock and contemporary Christian music genres. Formed in 1972, the band took its name from the Greek word for "rock". Though they ...more
- Carmen Domenic Licciardello (born January 19, 1956) known by his stage name, Carman, is a contemporary Christian music singer, songwriter, television host and evangelist.
- Amy Lee Grant (born November 25, 1960) is an American singer, songwriter, musician, author and media personality. She is known for performing contemporary Christian music (CCM) and for a successful ...more
- Jacquelyn "Jaci" Davette Velasquez (Spanish Jaci Velásquez, born October 15, 1979) is an American actress and Contemporary Christian and Latin pop singer and songwriter, performing in both English ...more
- Christopher Dwayne Tomlin (born May 4, 1972) is an American contemporary Christian music artist, worship leader, and songwriter from Grand Saline, Texas, United States who has sold over 7 million ...more
- Point of Grace is an all-female Contemporary Christian music vocal group. The trio consists of Shelley Breen, Denise Jones, and Leigh Cappillino. The group started out as a quartet in 1991, with ...more
- 4Him was a Contemporary Christian group founded in 1990 in Alabama, US. The group has ten Dove awards, a Grammy nomination and three certified gold albums to their credit. The group was inducted into ...more
- Skillet is a Christian rock band formed in Memphis, Tennessee in 1996 and based in the United States. The band currently consists of husband and wife John and Korey Cooper, along with Jen Ledger and ...more
- FFH is a Contemporary Christian band from Lancaster, Pennsylvania in the United States. The band is occasionally known as Far From Home. Formed in 1993, FFH released six independent projects before ...more
- David Crowder Band was a six-piece Christian rock and modern worship band from Waco, Texas. Their final album debuted at No. 1 on the Billboard Christian and No. 2 on the Billboard 200 charts. They ...more
- Phillips, Craig and Dean are a contemporary Christian music trio composed of Randy Phillips, Shawn Craig, and Dan Dean. Since forming in 1991, they have released 12 albums and earned 18 No. 1 radio ...more
- Crystal Lynn Lewis (born September 11, 1969) is an American contemporary Christian and gospel vocalist, songwriter, and author.
- Dallas Holm (born November 5, 1948) is a singer-songwriter of Christian music, whose musical ministry has spanned almost four decades. 1977's "Live" album, along with the group Praise, featured ...more
- Sanctus Real is an American Christian rock band formed in Toledo, Ohio, in 1996. The group is composed of Matt Hammitt, Chris Rohman, Dan Gartley, Pete Prevost, and Mark Graalman. The band is best ...more
- Geoff Moore (born February 22, 1961) is an American contemporary Christian music artist and songwriter. He began recording as a solo artist in 1984. In 1987, he formed Geoff Moore and The Distance, ...more
- NewSong is an American contemporary Christian music group that was founded in 1981, at Morningside Baptist Church in Valdosta, Georgia. They have had twelve GMA Dove Award nominations, and one Grammy ...more
- Twila Paris (born December 28, 1958) is a contemporary Christian music singer, songwriter, author and pianist. Since 1980, Paris has released 22 albums, amassed 33 number one Christian Radio singles, ...more
- Delirious? (formerly known as The Cutting Edge Band) were an English contemporary Christian band. For the majority of their career, the lineup featured Martin Smith on vocals and guitar, Stu G (full ...more