Celebrities make a large amount of money from appearing in television and movies, but they can augment their already large income by appearing in commercials. Celebrity endorsement are ways for brands to get some of their best advertisements. They can promote their best products with famous people. A celebrity already has an audience, so the company knows that they can potentially associate their brand with one of these celebrities.
These celebrity jobs aren't always as easy as sitting still for a photo shoot. They sometimes require years of commitment. Say you were a famous person working for Pepsi. Don't even think about picking up a Coke. A paparazzi could snap a shot of you doing that, and you might get sued by Pepsi for breach of contract. While you're under contract as a spokesperson, you need to be fully responsible for making people believe that you use that product. Because you become a proxy for that product.
- Catherine Zeta-Jones started working with T-Mobile in 2002, as the German company launched in the United States. Eventually, she was phased out when T-Mobile was going for a more populist approach to advertising. But populism doesn't always work, and the star was brought back in 2009 to pitch the brand once again.
4717Agree or disagree?
- Age: 51
- Birthplace: Swansea, West Glamorgan, Wales, UK
- Alternative Name: Catherine Zeta Jones
- In 1991, Mark Wahlberg advertised skivvys for Calvin Klein. Marky Mark's career sure has evolved since then. But allegedly a rider from that era requires that he still occasionally wear Calvin Klein underwear. Nobody knows for sure.
3616Agree or disagree?
- Age: 50
- Birthplace: Dorchester, Massachusetts, USA
- Alternative Name: Marky Mark
- Joe DiMaggio hawked Mr. Coffee in 1975. Because nothing sells coffee filters like an aged baseball star. The advertising executives probably thought "Hey, everyone drinks coffee!"
3116Agree or disagree?
- Age: Dec. at 84 (1914-1999)
- Birthplace: Martinez, California, United States of America
- This Osmond sister started promoting NutriSystem in 2013. She is part of the Slimsational Stars, which is some sort of campaign that NutriSystem thinks will convince people to lose weight with them. People love portmanteaus related to being slim and sensational, so this will definitely work.
2111Agree or disagree?
- Age: 61
- Birthplace: Ogden, Utah, USA