Here is a list of the best King Arthur movies. This is of films that focus on King Arthur or are greatly influenced by Arthurian legend. We believe we've got them all, but if we missed your favorite King Arthur film, please feel free to add it to the list yourself. King Arthur is unquestionably one of the most famous icons of the dark ages. There are medieval scholars have dedicated their lives to Arthurian lore.
Nearly every boy in the western world is familiar with the names Merlin, Camelot, Excalibur, Lancelot, as well as the famous "round table". With so much story available to them, filmmakers have been mining Arthurian legend for decades to produce these great King Arthur films. These films are the very best of the bunch of King Arthur films.
What are the best King Arthur movies? Some of the best Arthurian tales are some of the most memorable in fantasy films history.
- The magical sword of Excalibur starts off in the hands of British lord Uther Pendragon (Gabriel Byrne) and then, years later, finds its way to his bastard son, Arthur (Nigel Terry), the knave destined to become king. Aided by the sorcerer Merlin (Nicol Williamson), Arthur fulfills his fate by bringing together the Knights of the Round Table at Camelot and unifying the country. However, this flawed monarch faces greater tests ahead in pursuit of love, the Holy Grail and his nation's survival. ...more
- Actors: Nicol Williamson, Nigel Terry, Helen Mirren, Nicholas Clay, Cherie Lunghi
- Released: 1981
- Directed by: John Boorman
- Monty Python and the Holy Grail is a 1975 British comedy film written and performed by the comedy group of Monty Python, and directed by Gilliam and Jones. It was conceived during the hiatus between the third and fourth series of their popular BBC television programme Monty Python's Flying Circus. In contrast to the group's first film, And Now for Something Completely Different, a compilation of sketches from the first two television series, Holy Grail was composed of new material, and is therefore considered the first "proper" film by the group. It generally parodies the legend of King Arthur's quest to find the Holy Grail. The film was a success on its initial release, and Idle used the ...more
- Actors: John Cleese, Terry Gilliam, Eric Idle, Michael Palin, Graham Chapman
- Released: 1975
- Directed by: Terry Gilliam, Terry Jones
- In this interpretation of the classic tale, Arthur (Clive Owen) is a cavalry officer in the Roman army defending Hadrian's Wall against rebellious Britons. He and his troops are expecting to be relieved but are instead sent on a risky mission to rescue the Roman family of Marius Honorius, who proves a despicable torturer of pagans. Arthur frees one of them, Guinevere (Keira Knightley), who in turn brokers a truce between Arthur and the Britons so as to ward off an invading Saxon army. ...more
- Actors: Clive Owen, Keira Knightley, Ioan Gruffudd, Stephen Dillane, Stellan Skarsgård
- Released: 2004
- Directed by: Antoine Fuqua
- The Sword in the Stone is a 1963 American animated musical fantasy comedy film produced by Walt Disney and released to theaters on December 25, 1963 by Buena Vista Distribution. The 18th film in the Walt Disney Animated Classics series, it was the final Disney animated film released before Walt Disney's passing. The songs in the film were written and composed by the Sherman Brothers, who later wrote music for other Disney films like Mary Poppins, The Jungle Book, and Bedknobs and Broomsticks. ...more
- Actors: Alan Napier, Sebastian Cabot, Norman Alden, Karl Swenson, Jimmy MacDonald
- Released: 1963
- Directed by: Wolfgang Reitherman