A list of the most visited museums in the United States, with pictures. For some, "the most popular" means "the best", and these are definitely some of the most famous American museums. Top museums are often major tourist attractions, and can be a museum of natural history, art, science, or many others. Early museums were collections owned by private individuals. Whether these collections were open to the public was up to the owner. Today, museums are institutions dedicated to the study and exhibition of art, artifacts, and other objects of importance. One can only imagine the collections necessary to make the museums on this list some of the most popular in the world.
What are the best museums in the US? Included on this list are museums of art - both classical and modern, natural history, and children's museums. These institutions document and display the national heritage of the US through art, fossils, historical letters and papers, and other relics of USA culture and world history.To vote on more American travel sites, check out this list of the best US cities for vacations.
- 1Washington, D.C.
- 2Chicago, IllinoisVisitors: 1,846,889
- 3Chicago, Illinois
- 4New York City, New YorkVisitors: 4,891,450
- 5New York City, New York
- 6Dearborn, Michigan
- 7Illinois, USAChicago Il
- 8Philadelphia, PennsylvaniaVisitors: 812,479
- 9University Circle, Cleveland
- 10Boston, Massachusetts
- 11Washington, D.C.
- 12Visitors: 4,605,606
- 13California, USAVisitors: 1,153,903
- 14New York City, New York
- 15Detroit, Michigan
- 17Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- 18Indiana, USAVisitors: 1,300,000
- 19Downtown Cleveland, ClevelandCleveland OH
- 20Cooperstown, New York
- 21Kansas City, Missouri
Natural History Museum of UtahSalt Lake City, UT
- 24Visitors: 1,186,493
- 25California, USAVisitors: 695,545