If you're fascinated by stories of bygone eras, these new historical shows may satisfy your craving to be transported to a different time and place. The past few years, nostalgia has hit the airwaves in the form of some amazing series set in previous decades or even centuries. Which new historical dramas are right for your viewing pleasure? Which of these recently premiered shows is truly the best? Help decide by voting below.
What shows will you find on this best new historical drama shows list? In 2020, Hulu dropped the captivating drama Mrs. America about the political movement to pass the Equal Rights Amendment, chronicling the experiences of women on both sides of the debate. If you're interested in royal history, The Great gives a hilarious take on the rise of Russian empress Catherine the Great. Netflix miniseries When They See Us took us back to the late 80s with its story of the injustices suffered by the Central Park 5. Other good series featured on this best new historical drama TV series list include Belgravia, The Last Czars, and Dead Still.
Which historical drama show do you like the best? Vote your favorites up to the top of this list and please add any good shows we may have missed.
- Photo: SanditonSanditon (ITV, 2020) is a British historical period drama television series adapted by Andrew Davies from an unfinished manuscript by Jane Austen. Set in the Regency era, the story follows Charlotte Heywood (Rose Williams), a spirited and impulsive woman who moves from her rural home to Sanditon, a fishing village attempting to reinvent itself as a seaside resort.... more
- Actors: Rose Williams, Theo James, Anne Reid, Kris Marshall, Kate Ashfield
- Premiered: August 25, 2019
- The Queen's Gambit (Netflix, 2020) is an American drama miniseries based on the 1983 novel by Walter Tevis. Following her life from eight to 22 years old, the show centers on orphan chess prodigy Beth Harmon (Anya Taylor-Joy) and her quest of becoming the world's greatest chess player.... more
- Actors: Anya Taylor-Joy, Marielle Heller, Thomas Brodie-Sangster, Moses Ingram, Harry Melling
- Premiered: October 23, 2020
- Photo: Bridgerton / NetflixBridgerton (Netflix, 2020) is an American period drama television series created by Shonda Rhimes and based on the Bridgerton book series by Julia Quinn. Wealth, lust, and betrayal set in the backdrop of Regency era England, seen through the eyes of the powerful Bridgerton family.... more
- Actors: Phoebe Dynevor, Regé-Jean Page, Jonathan Bailey, Nicola Coughlan, Claudia Jessie
- Premiered: December 25, 2020
HarlotsHarlots (Hulu, 2017) is a British-American period drama television series created by Alison Newman and Moira Buffini, inspired by The Covent Garden Ladies by British historian Hallie Rubenhold. Brothel owner Margaret Wells (Samantha Morton) struggles to raise her daughters in London during the 18th century.... more
- Actors: Samantha Morton, Lesley Manville, Jessica Brown Findlay, Liv Tyler, Alfie Allen
- Premiered: March 27, 2017