If you're fascinated by stories of bygone eras, these new historical shows may satisfy your craving to be transported to a different time and place. The past few years, nostalgia has hit the airwaves in the form of some amazing series set in previous decades or even centuries. Which new historical dramas are right for your viewing pleasure? Which of these recently premiered shows is truly the best? Help decide by voting below.
What shows will you find on this best new historical drama shows list? In 2020, Hulu dropped the captivating drama Mrs. America about the political movement to pass the Equal Rights Amendment, chronicling the experiences of women on both sides of the debate. If you're interested in royal history, The Great gives a hilarious take on the rise of Russian empress Catherine the Great. Netflix miniseries When They See Us took us back to the late 80s with its story of the injustices suffered by the Central Park 5. Other good series featured on this best new historical drama TV series list include Belgravia, The Last Czars, and Dead Still.
Which historical drama show do you like the best? Vote your favorites up to the top of this list and please add any good shows we may have missed.
- 1196401Taboo (FX, 2017) is a British television drama series created by Tom Hardy, Edward "Chips" Hardy, and Steven Knight. James Delaney (Tom Hardy) returns to England after twelve years in Africa with fourteen diamonds.... more
- Actors: Tom Hardy, Leo Bill, Oona Chaplin, Richard Dixon, David Hayman
- Premiered: January 7, 2017
- 2119337Gunpowder (HBO, 2017) is a British historical period drama television series developed by Ronan Bennett, Kit Harington, and Daniel West. British activist Guy Fawkes (Tom Cullen) and a group of provincial English Catholics plan to blow up the House of Lords and kill King James I in the early 17th century.... more
- Actors: Kit Harington, Peter Mullan, Liv Tyler, Mark Gatiss, Shaun Dooley
- Premiered: October 21, 2017
- Photo: Sanditon31758Sanditon (ITV, 2020) is a British historical period drama television series adapted by Andrew Davies from an unfinished manuscript by Jane Austen. Set in the Regency era, the story follows Charlotte Heywood (Rose Williams), a spirited and impulsive woman who moves from her rural home to Sanditon, a fishing village attempting to reinvent itself as a seaside resort.... more
- Actors: Rose Williams, Crystal Clarke, Charlotte Spencer, Kate Ashfield
- Premiered: August 25, 2020
- Photo: The Son4106314The Son (AMC, 2017) is a western drama television series based on the 2013 novel by Philipp Meyer. A multi-generational epic telling of the story of America's birth as a superpower through the bloody rise and fall of one Texas oil empire led by an ambitious cattle baron (Pierce Brosnan).... more
- Actors: Pierce Brosnan, Jacob Lofland, Sydney Lucas, David Wilson Barnes, Jess Weixler
- Premiered: April 8, 2017