No matter where you live in the world, this list of the best Spanish horror movies is bound to appeal to you if you're looking to dive into the world of Spanish cinema. Whether you like haunted houses (The House at the End of Time), the horror of Mother Nature (Aftershock), or terrifying, unstoppable viruses, ([Rec]) you’ll find it on this list of Spanish horror movies.
Most notably included here are the films Cronos and The Devil’s Backbone both from internationally renowned director Guillermo del Toro (Hellboy, Pacific Rim). Which of the films on this Spanish horror movies list keeps you up at night? Join our other users and give the scariest movies on this list a thumbs up, or tell us what frightens you most in the comments below. These horror movies are all in Spanish, but there are usually subtitles available for non-native speakers.
If you haven't seen any of these films, then it makes for a great guide on where to start. The scariest Spanish horror movies will be at the top of the list, as they have received the most upvotes.
- Pan's Labyrinth is a 2006 Spanish-Mexican dark fantasy film directed by Guillermo del Toro. It was produced and distributed by Esperanto Films. In the Falangist Spain of 1944, the bookish young ...more
- REC is a 2007 Spanish horror film, co-written and directed by Jaume Balagueró and Paco Plaza. The film was shot in Barcelona, Spain and the title is an abbreviation of the word "record", as it ...more
- The Day of the Beast is a 1995 Spanish black comedy horror action film co-written and directed by Álex de la Iglesia and starring Álex Angulo, Armando De Razza and Santiago Segura. Both Maria Grazia ...more
- REC 2 is a 2009 Spanish horror film sequel to 2007's REC and the second installment of the REC series. The film was written and directed by Jaume Balagueró and Paco Plaza, both of whom returned from ...more
- After losing his father, 10-year-old Carlos (Fernando Tielve) arrives at the Santa Lucia School, which shelters orphans of the Republican militia and politicians, and is taken in by the steely ...more
- Tombs of the Blind Dead is a 1971 Spanish horror film written and directed by Amando de Ossorio. Its original Spanish title is La noche del terror ciego, which means "The Night of the Blind Terror". ...more
- Juan of the Dead is a Spanish-Cuban comedy zombie film written and directed by Alejandro Brugués. in 2010. Coproduction by La Zanfoña Producciones, Producciones de la 5ta Avenida, with the ...more
- Jaime, Marta y su hija Isa acaban de mudarse a una selecta urbanización de las afueras. Mientras se preparan para celebrar la primera noche en su nueva casa, tres encapuchados irrumpen violentamente ...more
- Timecrimes is a 2007 Spanish science-fiction thriller film directed by Nacho Vigalondo. A man accidentally gets into a time machine and travels back in time nearly an hour, starting a series f events ...more
- REC 4: Apocalypse is an upcoming 2014 Spanish horror film, and the fourth and final installment of the REC franchise. The film will be a direct sequel to the second film taking place immediately ...more
- Sleep Tight is a 2011 Spanish horror thriller film directed by Jaume Balagueró. César, an unhappy concierge, maintains a peculiar relationship with the very diverse inhabitants of the upper-class ...more
- The Skin I Live In is a 2011 Spanish psychological thriller film directed by Pedro Almodóvar and based on Thierry Jonquet's novel Mygale. A brilliant plastic surgeon (Antonio Banderas), haunted by ...more
- Antique dealer Jesus Gris (Federico Luppi) stumbles across Cronos, a 400-year-old scarab that, when it latches onto him, grants him youth and eternal life -- but also a thirst for blood. As Jesus ...more
- Julia's Eyes is a critically acclaimed 2010 Spanish horror film directed by Guillem Morales and written by Morales and Oriol Paulo.
- Claudia (Emma Vilarasau) and Marc (Brendan Price) are horrified and heartbroken when their young daughter's body is found mutilated. Several years later, Claudia gets a call from a young woman who ...more
- Tesis is a 1996 Spanish film. It is the feature debut of director Alejandro Amenábar, and was written by him and Mateo Gil. The movie won seven 1996 Goya Awards, including the award for Best Film. It ...more
- Years after committing atrocities as a torturer of interned children during the Holocaust, Nazi doctor and certified pedophile Klaus (Günter Meisner) continues to murder little boys. After a ...more
- Witching & Bitching is a 2013 Spanish horror-comedy film co-written and directed by Álex de la Iglesia. It stars Hugo Silva, Mario Casas and Carmen Maura. It won the most awards at the 28th Goya ...more
- Aftershock is a 2012 Chilean-American disaster horror film starring Eli Roth. It is directed by Nicolás López and written by López, Roth, and Guillermo Amoedo, from a story by Roth and López.
- Afterparty is a 2013 horror film written by Miguel larraya and Fernando Sancristóbal Zurita and directed by Miguel Larraya.
- After the disappearance of her brother on an isolated island, pilot Mercer (Alex Reid) readily accepts an offer to fly a team of ex-Marines and scientists to the same remote isle so they can ...more
- Here Comes the Devil is a 2012 Mexican film that was directed by Adrian Garcia Bogliano. The film had its world premiere on September 11, 2012 at the Toronto International Film Festival and stars ...more
- The Squad is a 2011 horror film written and directed by Jaime Osorio Marquez.