Since the first official adaptation of Zorro in 1920, the masked hero has returned to the screen dozens of times. From TV shows and feature films to the earliest serials, Zorro stories are regularly being remade, adapted for the modern era, or the inspiration for an homage.
Disney has produced several Zorro TV shows and movies, like the 1958 Sign of Zorro or both the 1957 and the 1990 Zorro television series. Already a popular subject for movie serials in the '40s, Zorro movies were made in Italy at a rapid pace in the '60s, with multiple films released a year, like L’Ombra di Zorro, El Zorro la Volpe, and even Zorro Contro Maciste (retitled Sampson and the Slave Queen).
Adaptations of the Zorro character can be official or unofficial, with Zorro Productions controlling the trademarks and copyrights to the Zorro character. Almost all Zorro movies and shows are official but some are note, including the telenovela Zorro: La Espada y la Rosa and the anime Kaiketsu Zorro.
Whether you love them for their particular take on one of the earliest masked avengers, for their cheesiness, or how well they adapt the stories, which Zorro shows or movies are the best?
- 1Zorro is an American action-adventure western drama series produced by Walt Disney Productions. Based on the well-known Zorro character, the series premiered on October 10, 1957 on ABC. The final ...more
- 2After being imprisoned for 20 years, Zorro -- Don Diego de la Vega (Anthony Hopkins) -- receives word that his old enemy, Don Rafael Montero (Stuart Wilson), has returned. Don Diego escapes and ...more
- 3Tired of Governor Quintero's (J. Edward Bromberg) exploitation of poor Californians, Don Diego (Tyrone Power) decides to fight back and assumes the identity of Zorro. A masked hero with a sword, ...more
- 4Zorro, also known as The New Zorro, New World Zorro, and Zorro 1990, is an American action-adventure drama series featuring Duncan Regehr as the character of Zorro. Regehr portrayed the fearless ...more
- 5When corrupt Governor Alvarado (George Periolat) crushes the poor people of Spanish California under his iron heel, wealthy fop Don Diego Vega (Douglas Fairbanks) sheds his silks, dons a mask and ...more
- 6Gov. Don Diego (Alain Delon) finds his new jurisdiction subjugated to martial law at the hands of the tyrannical Col. Huerta (Stanley Baker). Diego feigns compliance, but clandestinely plots Huerta's ...more
- 7Zorro: Generation Z is an animated series that began in 2006. Former Marvel Studios development executive, Rick Ungar, developed the original series in association with BKN, G7 Animation and Pangea ...more
- 8A masked avenger in Old California battles a corrupt commandant by night while masquerading as an aristocrat by day.
- 9The Mark of Zorro is a 1974 television film and also a backdoor pilot for a television series which ABC-TV declined to pick up. The film used Alfred Newman's musical score for the 1940 film version ...more
- 10Zorro's Fighting Legion is a 1939 Republic Pictures film serial consisting of twelve chapters starring Reed Hadley as Zorro and directed by William Witney and John English. The plot revolves around ...more
- 11A secret society, the Knights of Aragon, seeks to keep the United States from achieving manifest destiny -- and only the legendary Zorro (Antonio Banderas) can stop them. Unfortunately, Zorro, also ...more
- 12Zorro Rides Again is a 12-chapter Republic Pictures film serial. It was the eighth of the sixty-six Republic serials, the third with a western theme and the last produced in 1937. The serial was ...more
- 13Don Q, Son of Zorro is the 1925 sequel to the 1920 silent film The Mark of Zorro. It was loosely based upon the 1909 novel Don Q.'s Love Story, written by the mother-and-son duo Kate and Hesketh ...more
- 14Zorro, the legendary swordsman, has passed on his weapon and his sense of duty to his noble son, Diego (George Hamilton), a dashing swashbuckler like his father. But after an injury sidelines Diego, ...more
Sword of Zorro (La Tre Spade di Zorro)
- 16The masked avenger steals money and gives to the poor.
Zorro the Avenger
- 19Don Diego Vega (Robert Livingston) is a respected member of the community in Spanish California. But his alter ego, the swashbuckling, anti-authoritarian Zorro (also Livingston), fights for the ...more
- 20Kaiketsu Zorro is an Italian/Japanese anime, based on the western character Zorro. Fifty-two episodes were produced, however only 46 were broadcast in Japan. The series became very popular in ...more
- 21Zorro's Black Whip is a 1944 Republic Pictures film serial starring Linda Stirling. The film was made after the popular 1940 20th Century-Fox remake of The Mark of Zorro and Republic wasn't able to ...more
- 22Zorro: La Espada y la Rosa is a Spanish-language telenovela based on Johnston McCulley's characters. Telemundo aired it from February 12 to July 23, 2007. This limited-run serial shows the masked ...more
- 23Ghost of Zorro is a Republic Movie serial. It uses substantial stock footage from earlier serials, including Son of Zorro and Daredevils of the West. This movie was shot in Chatsworth, Los Angeles.
- 24Son of Zorro is a Republic film serial. It was the 43rd of the 66 serials produced by that studio. The serial was directed by Spencer Gordon Bennet and Fred C. Brannon. George Turner starred as a ...more
The Avenger, Zorro (El Zorro Justiciero)