Sultry makeup is great for making an impression. Neutral makeup is fun too, but you definitely want a smokey eye and defined brow for a night out on the town. If Valentine's Day is approaching or you have a hot date, get ready to stun everyone with your dark makeup look. Sultry makeup even looks great on a girls' night out. After all, you don’t need a date to feel attractive. Whatever the occasion, sultry makeup tips will take your beauty look to the next level.
Oh and for the record, a smokey eye still looks absolutely amazing with a glossy nude lip.
Use A Long-Lasting Primer
When it comes to date night makeup, you need to make the first move - by applying primer! When applied to clean skin, a good primer ensures that makeup will stay in place all night long (and maybe even into the next morning, if that's where things are heading).Pixi Flawless Beauty Primer glides on skin and helps makeup stay put for hours, and Smashbox Photo Finish Primer is always a crowd-pleaser. If you want dramatic eye makeup, add an eyeshadow-specific primer, like Too Faced Shadow Insurance Anti-Crease Eye Shadow Primer, into your routine.
Once your entire face is done, seal the deal with a setting spray for extra staying power. NYX Makeup Setting Spray will give your look a shine-free, matte finish that lasts forever.
Focus On A Good Foundation
A makeup look is only as good as the foundation, so focus on flawless skin first and foremost.
You can totally achieve even, glowing skin with a drugstore foundation (glow queen Blake Lively swears by L'Oreal True Match Lumi Foundation). It's really all about how you apply the product! Here are some tips:
- First, apply primer to clean, moisturized skin.
- Next, get a Beautyblender or your favorite makeup sponge, wet it, and squeeze out any excess water. A damp makeup sponge will have a lighter touch, so you can build the perfect amount of coverage for skin.
- Dab droplets of foundation on facial high points like cheeks, forehead, nose, and chin.
- Take your damp Beautyblender, and dapple the foundation until it's blended across your whole face.
- Continue until you reach the desired coverage.
Next, cover any discoloration with a concealer, like Make Up For Ever Full Cover Concealer, and set everything in place with a light dusting of luminescent powder. Laura Mercier Loose Setting Powder will give you a light, silky finish.
Learn To Master The Perfect Cat Eye
The secret to the perfect cat eye lies within the angle! If the angle of your cat eye is off, there's really no fixing it. There are a couple of ways to find the angle that works best for you, though.
Take your eyeliner pencil and hold it next to your nose, at the edge of your nostril. Then, angle the pencil until it intersects with the outer corner of your eye. The resulting angle will be the guideline for your wing! Make a mark at the outermost edge.
If that seems like too much trouble, grab the Cat Eye 101. The tip of the eyeliner pen includes a traceable rubber edge that you can place at the outer corner of your eye and use as a guide!
There are other tips as well:
- Keep the liner as close to your lash line as possible.
- Don't do your eyes one at a time; do them together. This way, it's easier to avoid mismatched angles!
- Invest in a long-lasting, waterproof liner like Kat Von D Tattoo Liner.
Try Candlelit Eyeshadow
There's nothing more flattering that a candlelit glow, right? Well, you can actually recreate that glow with eyeshadow, and no candles are necessary.
To achieve the look, you need a golden shade of shadow, a few neutral shadows, a gold eyeliner, a black liquid liner, and black mascara. Here's how to do it:
- Apply a gold shadow like Milani Bella Eyes Gel Powder Eyeshadow in Bella Gold all over the lid, from lash line to crease.
- Create a smokey eye effect by smudging neutral brown shadows into the crease of your eye and at the outer corners. Smudge your lightest neutral shadow at your lower lash line, as well. Urban Decay's Naked Palette will have all the shadows you need!
- Line your lower waterline with a metallic gold liner. Mally Evercolor Gel Waterproof Liner in Gold Glimmer is perfect.
- Finish the look with a thin line of black liquid liner on your upper lash line and a healthy dose of lengthening mascara.