Being on your own can be tough. Even if you're living with a roommate, you’re still responsible for keeping up your space, your finances, and staying healthy. Sometimes, it's not the easiest, but can be rewarding in many ways. Here are some pointers to help you embrace your newfound solitude and find fulfillment in living solo.
Now That's Moving On
From Redditor /u/HailTheCrimsonKing
I just recently started living alone after a breakup. A few things that have helped me are:
- Having a pet helps combat loneliness
- Spend lots of time with friends/family
- Find hobbies and indulge in them often
- Decorate your home to make it your sanctuary
- Learn how to cook meals for 1. It’s very easy to order takeout or eat bad food because cooking for yourself seems pointless sometimes257Good tip?
You And Only You
From Redditor /u/40acresandapool
This is a great time for you. Enjoy some solitude. Get to know yourself. Do what you want when you want without a committee meeting with anyone else involved.207Good tip?
Just Be Prepared
From Redditor /u/AdamWe
Try to go out and do things outside of the apartment (hobbies, etc).
Invite friends over for game night, movie night, etc.
It's awesome to live on your own but it can get lonely. Be prepared and you'll be okay.121Good tip?
Some Crucial Tips
From Redditor /u/Ectwhenhappy
Check what fuses you need for the fuse box, and get a box of them, they will expire at some point, and I can tell you from personal experience that buying that backup box saved my dinner twice already.
Decide when you're going to clean, if you're like me, you'll postpone it for ages, same goes with doing laundry.
Have some spare bulbs ready, another handy tip.
KEEP EXTRA TOILET PAPER WITHIN REACH FROM THE BOG, always make sure that you a few rolls.
Learn to cook at least a few dishes you like.
Get a set of tools, hammer, screwdrivers, the lot.
That's as far as what practicality goes, there's a few stuff that can make it a bit nicer:
- Get some potted plants, my mum got me two when I moved it, they make it so much nicer
- Candles provide a great atmosphere in the dark winter months, and can also be handy when the power cuts out177Good tip?