Nintendo’s mini handheld system released some great games, but there are plenty of obscure and underrated DS games that are worth a second look. Upon its initial release in 2004, the Nintendo DS took the industry by storm. Having two screens may have seemed a bit gimmicky to some, but the feature was used to create some truly unique game mechanics that were both inventive and unable to be replicated on any other platform.
While the DS was redefining how we thought about handheld consoles, it also defined many of our childhoods. Games like Nintendogs and Animal Crossing were instant classics every time a new version was released, but there were also games like Infinite Spacekinds and Puzzle Quest that also deserve some forgotten praise.
Vote up all the overlooked and underappreciated Nintendo DS games you think deserve more attention, and vote down the titles you think are best forgotten.
- Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective is an adventure game developed by Capcom for the Nintendo DS and iOS. Ghost Trick's story centers on the protagonist Sissel, and his ghost's struggle to discover who he ...more
- 999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors is a graphic adventure game/visual novel developed by Chunsoft for Nintendo DS. It was first released in Japan on December 10, 2009, and then in North ...more
- Hotel Dusk: Room 215, released in Japan as Wish Room: Angel's Memory, is a point-and-click adventure game for the Nintendo DS. Originally announced on October 5, 2005 as Wish Room, the game made its ...more
- Fossil Fighters, known in Japan as Bokura wa Kasekihoridā, is a 2008 video game developed by Nintendo SPD, Red Entertainment, M2, and Artdink and published by Nintendo. It was first released in Japan ...more
- The World Ends with You, known in Japan as It's a Wonderful World, is an action role-playing game with urban fantasy elements developed by Square Enix's Kingdom Hearts team and Jupiter for the ...more
- Rhythm Heaven, known as Rhythm Paradise in Europe and Rhythm Tengoku Gold in Japan, is a rhythm video game developed by Nintendo SPD for the Nintendo DS. It is the second game in Nintendo's Rhythm ...more
- Trauma Center: Under the Knife 2 is a simulation game developed for the Nintendo DS and the third in the Trauma Center series. The game is a sequel to Trauma Center: Under the Knife. The character ...more
- Elite Beat Agents is a music video game developed by iNiS and published by Nintendo for the Nintendo DS handheld game console. It was first released in North America, and has since been released in ...more
- Lunar Knights, known in Japan as Bokura no Taiyō: Django & Sabata and abbreviated Boktai DS, is an action role-playing video game, the fourth title in the Boktai series of video games developed by ...more
- Touch Detective or Mystery Detective in Europe is a point-and-click mystery adventure game for the Nintendo DS which makes use of the device's touch screen. It was developed by BeeWorks and released ...more
- Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker is a Nintendo DS role-playing video game published by Square Enix, and the fourth installment of the Dragon Quest Monsters series. Square Enix released the game on ...more
- Picross DS is a puzzle video game developed by Jupiter and published by Nintendo for the Nintendo DS handheld video game console. It is the second Picross game to be released by Nintendo in Europe ...more
- Henry Hatsworth in the Puzzling Adventure is a Nintendo DS action-adventure and puzzle game developed by EA Tiburon. It involves a British adventurer, the eponymous Henry Hatsworth, who is on a ...more
- Infinite Space, initially announced as Infinite Line, is a 2009 science fiction role-playing video game with space simulation and real-time strategy RPG elements, developed by Nude Maker and Platinum ...more
- Rune Factory: A Fantasy Harvest Moon is a simulation/role-playing video game developed by Neverland Co., Ltd. and published by Marvelous Interactive Inc., Natsume, and Rising Star Games for the ...more
- Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords is a game developed by Australian company Infinite Interactive and published by D3 Publisher. The game combines role-playing with strategy and puzzle elements. ...more
- Lost in Blue is a Nintendo DS video game which is a continuation of Konami's Survival Kids series. Lost in Blue makes extensive use of the system's touchscreen and microphone features as two young ...more
- Advance Wars: Days of Ruin is a turn-based tactics video game for the Nintendo DS handheld game console. It is the fourth installment in the Advance Wars series and was released in North America on ...more
- Aliens Infestation is a 2D sidescroller game for the Nintendo DS handheld console. It was developed by WayForward Technologies and Gearbox Software. It is a part of the Alien franchise.
- Etrian Odyssey, released in Japan as Sekaiju no Meikyuu, is a 3D dungeon crawler role-playing video game by Atlus for the Nintendo DS.
- Nippon Ichi has also licensed or produced a wide variety of Disgaea merchandise, including a manga. In 2006, Nippon Ichi released a sequel called Disgaea 2: Cursed Memories for the PlayStation 2, as ...more
- Ninjatown is a tower defense strategy video game on the Nintendo DS that was released on October 28, 2008.
- Contra 4 is a 2D action game for the Nintendo DS and the eleventh original installment in the Contra series. The game was released in North America on November 13, 2007. Contra 4 was produced by ...more
- Puyo Pop Fever, known as Puyo Puyo Fever in Japan, is the fifth installment in the popular Puyo Puyo puzzle game series, developed by Sonic Team, released on a wide variety of systems in several ...more
- Metroid Prime Pinball is a pinball video game themed after the Metroid series. The game uses the graphical style and various story elements from Metroid Prime. It was developed by Fuse Games for the ...more