America's legendary military history is dotted with some of the greatest generals and admirals to ever put on a uniform. While there have been thousands of high-ranking U.S. Army generals and and military leaders in American history, only a few have truly changed the world with their bravery, intelligence, strategic planning ability, and the way they look wearing a uniform full of medals. Some of the best American generals are also the top military leaders in history.
The army leaders and generals in the US Army on this list all either held the most important positions in the US military or were immortalized in the history books for their actions in war. To be a great US Army officer takes great courage and leadership. Who has had the most impact and led his men and women to historic triumphs? Leading the ranks of the army is no easy feat, but throughout army history, many great men have made a name for themselves.Vote for who you think are the most important leaders from the United States Army, armed forces, and other military branches on this list, and vote down the ones you think might be a little overrated. And feel free to add generals and admirals who you feel were unfairly forgotten.
- 12,247528George Washington was the first President of the United States, the Commander-in-Chief of the... more on Wikipedia
- 21,947629Ulysses S. Grant (born Hiram Ulysses Grant; April 27, 1822 – July 23, 1885) was an American... more on Wikipedia
- 31,445468Chester William Nimitz, Sr. (; February 24, 1885 – February 20, 1966) was a fleet admiral of... more on Wikipedia
Chester W. NimitzDec. at 81 (1885-1966)
- 42,168774George Smith Patton Jr. (November 11, 1885 – December 21, 1945) was a General of the United... more on Wikipedia
- 51,384484George Catlett Marshall Jr. (December 31, 1880 – October 16, 1959) was an American soldier and... more on Wikipedia
- 61,866688Dwight David "Ike" Eisenhower ( EYE-zən-how-ər; October 14, 1890 – March 28, 1969) was an... more on Wikipedia
- 71,435570William Tecumseh Sherman (February 8, 1820 – February 14, 1891) was an American soldier,... more on Wikipedia
- 81,135485General of the Armies John Joseph "Black Jack" Pershing (September 13, 1860 – July 15, 1948)... more on Wikipedia
- 91,192563General of the Army Omar Nelson Bradley (February 12, 1893 – April 8, 1981) was a senior... more on Wikipedia
Omar BradleyDec. at 88 (1893-1981)
- 101,967959Robert Edward Lee was an American soldier best known for commanding the Confederate Army of... more on Wikipedia
- 11901415Fleet Admiral William Frederick Halsey Jr., KBE (October 30, 1882 – August 16, 1959), known as... more on Wikipedia
- 12596162Raymond Ames Spruance (July 3, 1886 – December 13, 1969) was a United States Navy admiral in... more on Wikipedia
- 13548278David Glasgow Farragut (also spelled Glascoe; July 5, 1801 – August 14, 1870) was a flag... more on Wikipedia
- 14652295Henry Harley "Hap" Arnold (June 25, 1886 – January 15, 1950) was an American general officer... more on Wikipedia
- 15793254Lewis Burwell "Chesty" Puller (June 26, 1898 – October 11, 1971) was a United States Marine... more on Wikipedia
- 16893296Sent by Washington to replace Gates in the South and drive Cornwallis out of South Carolina. He was called the Fighting Quaker and had been Washinton's Quartermaster.
- 171,063630Herbert Norman Schwarzkopf Jr. (; August 22, 1934 – December 27, 2012) was a United States... more on Wikipedia
- 181,454893General of the Army Douglas MacArthur (January 26, 1880 – April 5, 1964) was an American... more on Wikipedia
- 19988571Led U.S. troops to victory over the British in the Battle of New Orleans in the War of 1812.
- 20545282General Matthew Bunker Ridgway (March 3, 1895 – July 26, 1993) was a senior officer in the... more on Wikipedia
John Paul JonesDec. at 45 (1747-1792)Best-known naval leader for the U.S. in the Revolutionary War.
- 22586331Philip Henry Sheridan (March 6, 1831 – August 5, 1888) was a career United States Army officer... more on Wikipedia
- 231,396593Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson (January 21, 1824 – May 10, 1863) served as a Confederate... more on Wikipedia
- 24663442Winfield Scott (June 13, 1786 – May 29, 1866) was an American military commander and political... more on Wikipedia
- 25482181Marie-Joseph Paul Yves Roch Gilbert du Motier, Marquis de Lafayette (French: [maʁki də la... more on Wikipedia