An intelligence quotient test (IQ test) is a series of standardized tests used to gauge and assess a person's intelligence. While most people will never take a formal IQ test, high IQs have nevertheless always been a topic of public interest.
In recent history, US president IQs have been the subject of debate and discussion. This is in part due to Donald Trump's perpetual tweeting about his high IQ during the controversial election cycle of 2016. This led people to wonder who the smartest and dumbest presidents were throughout history.
A president's IQ is rarely made public, and many United States presidents were born before the modern IQ test was invented. Nevertheless, many psychological studies have provided educated guesses of presidential IQ based on a variety of factors. When it comes to IQ scores, a score over 140 is considered genius level.
Research indicates most presidents fall somewhere around 130, but that doesn't mean America has never had a genius in the Oval Office. There are outliers on either side, with many presidents' IQs being higher or lower than average. If you're curious to learn where our presidents rank in terms of intellectual prowess, browse the list below.
Alleged IQ: 175John Quincy Adams ( (listen); July 11, 1767 – February 23, 1848) was an American statesman,... more
Alleged IQ: 160Thomas Jefferson was an American Founding Father, the principal author of the Declaration of... more
Alleged IQ: 160John Fitzgerald Kennedy (May 29, 1917 – November 22, 1963), often referred to by initials JFK... more
Alleged IQ: 159William Jefferson Clinton (born William Jefferson Blythe III; August 19, 1946) is an American... more
Alleged IQ: 156.8James Earl Carter Jr. (born October 1, 1924) is an American politician and philanthropist who... more
- James Madison Jr. (March 16, 1751 – June 28, 1836) was an American statesman, lawyer,... more
- John Adams Jr. (October 30, 1735 – July 4, 1826) was an American statesman, attorney,... more
- Barack Hussein Obama born August 4, 1961is an American attorney and politician who served as... more
Alleged IQ: 150Franklin Delano Roosevelt (, ; January 30, 1882 – April 12, 1945), often referred to by... more
Alleged IQ: 149Millard Fillmore (January 7, 1800 – March 8, 1874) was the 13th president of the United States... more
Alleged IQ: 147Franklin Pierce (November 23, 1804 – October 8, 1869) was the 14th president of the United... more
Alleged IQ: 146Rutherford Birchard Hayes (October 4, 1822 – January 17, 1893) was the 19th president of the... more
Alleged IQ: 145.1
- Benjamin Harrison (August 20, 1833 – March 13, 1901) was an American politician and lawyer who... more
- Andrew Jackson (March 15, 1767 – June 8, 1845) was an American soldier and statesman who... more
- Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is an American politician who served as the 45th... more
Alleged IQ: 144Stephen Grover Cleveland (March 18, 1837 – June 24, 1908) was an American politician and... more
Alleged IQ: 143
Alleged IQ: 143George Herbert Walker Bush (June 12, 1924 – November 30, 2018) was an American politician and... more
Alleged IQ: 142Chester Alan Arthur (October 5, 1829 – November 18, 1886) was an American attorney and... more
Alleged IQ: 141.5
- Lyndon Baines Johnson (; August 27, 1908 – January 22, 1973), often referred to as LBJ, was an... more
- George Washington was the first President of the United States, the Commander-in-Chief of the... more
- Gerald Rudolph Ford Jr. (born Leslie Lynch King Jr.; July 14, 1913 – December 26, 2006) was an... more