List of strange state laws on the books in Ohio. These rules and regulations were passed by the Ohio state legislature, or in an individual Ohio city, and for one reason or another, were never overturned, remaining active on the books until this day. Almost every city and state has some outdated, old-fashioned or even nonsensical laws on the books, and they can come about for a variety of reasons. Most frequently, the laws appeared in the books following a court ruling on a specific case, that then set a common law precedent from that point on.
Strange or unnecessary laws have become a popular source for humor, online and more generally in popular culture. TV shows like "The Simpsons" have had a lot of fun with the notion of small towns having peculiar regulations on the books. (In one episode, Mayor Quimby is surprised to find out the town charter mandates that all ducks wear long pants.)Often, "dumb laws" as reported on websites and in humor books have been shown to be inaccurate. This sometimes happens because a real, sensible law has been exaggerated or misunderstood, turning into something that sounds silly or ridiculous. Other times, it is simply the result of a hoax being repeated enough times to gain some kind of credibility. If you think any of the laws on this page are not accurate or do not remain active in Ohio, let me know in the comments below.
- If one loses their pet tiger, they must notify the authorities within one hour. (Canton)
- Throwing a snake at anyone is illegal. (Toledo)
- It is illegal to mistreat anything of great importance.
- No one may be arrested on Sunday or on the Fourth of July.
- Riding on the roof of a taxi cab is not allowed. (Youngstown)
- It is illegal to display colored chickens for sale. (Akron)
- Your duck may not paraded down Ohio Avenue. (McDonald)
- No person shall solicit sex from another of the same gender if it offends the second person. (Akron)
- olgonzales0923 added
- Anal intercourse is banned. (Cincinnati)
- It is illegal for more than five women to live in a house.
- It is a misdemeanor to play any game in a public park without the Superintendent’s permission. (Canton)
- Electric fences are banned. (Canton)
- Posting signs at swimming pools is illegal.
- Catch 22 is banned. (Strongsville)
- TannerWright added
In Newrichmond Ohio it is illeagle to fish on the river bank, form 10:30 pm to 12:30 am
- Women are prohibited from wearing patent leather shoes in public.
- Cross-dressing is against the law. (Ironton)
- Items left on a tree lawn become city property. (Fairview Park)
- It’s illegal for a woman to strip off her clothing while standing in front of a man’s picture. (Oxford)
- Breast feeding is not allowed in public.
- TannerWright added
This law is in effict only for Newrichmond Ohio.
- Any map that does not have Lima clearly stated on the map cannot be sold. (Lima)
- It’s illegal to catch mice without a hunting license. (Cleveland)