Unless you've had a kidney stone before, chances are you rarely give them a second thought. But when you do have a kidney stone, you learn it's a surprisingly excruciating phenomenon. Kidney stones are essentially mineral and salt deposits that form inside the lining of a person's kidneys. The kidneys work to flush out toxins and substances from the human body, which exit via the urinary tract. But some calcium buildups are unable to pass through the urinary tract, causing discomfort - to put it mildly - for the unlucky kidney owner.
Typically, a kidney stone can be passed after a person ingests a medley of hydrating substances, which forces it through the urinary tract and out of the body. But sometimes, stronger treatment measures are necessary.
By taking a closer look at what exactly kidney stones are and how they interact with the human body, you can learn how to avoid them - or, at least, minimize their negative effects.