Taylor Swift’s charm as the country-pop girl-next-door has cemented her place as one of the most popular musicians of her time. But with the Reputation album, she seems to have shed the persona that made her famous in the first place.
Taylor Swift has always been the beautiful yet dorky country queen who could buy a $17 million house in Rhode Island (in cash) and still somehow appear as relatable to the masses. So, what happened to Taylor Swift? New music like “Look What You Made Me Do” and “ME!” seem like a drastic pivot from that relatable image, and a juvenile attempt to swerve back into her good girl persona, respectively.
Taylor Swift now seems uncertain of how to get back on steady ground, and shaky hits like “You Need to Calm Down” and its muddled meaning aren’t helping. Was its music video about LGBTQ+ rights, or the alleged end of the Katy Perry Taylor Swift feud? Perhaps the rest of the songs from the Lover album will bring the songstress back to her peak. But with the seemingly endless Taylor Swift Kanye West feud, which brought about all of the memes of her wanting to be “excluded from this narrative,” and perhaps the first Taylor Swift concert to not sell out immediately, it looks like the star is slipping.
But what do you think about Taylor Swift today? Are you still obsessed with Taylor Swift and her cats, the 1989 World Tour, and her new music? Vote about it! If you think the singer’s peak was in 2018, vote up the Reputation Tour. Or vote for Taylor hugging Katy Perry in her latest video if you’re down with Taylor Swift 2019. Or maybe you think Tay-Tay's been off her game for a while, in which case you'd probably pick the Taylor Swift Grammys win in 2009.
Check here for more Taylor Swift updates, and don’t forget to vote for the moment that made you think, okay, Taylor Swift is over.
- Taylor Swift's second album
- Her bestselling album with 7.2 million US sales
- Won Album of the Year at the 2010 Grammys
- Beat out Lady Gaga and Beyonce at the Grammys
- Taylor's first No. 1 on the Billboard 200 chart
- Top singles: "Love Story," "You Belong with Me," "Fifteen," "Fearless"
- Benjamin Button appeared in the video for "ME!"
- Taylor quickly filed paperwork to trademark his name
- Her other cats, Meredith Grey and Olivia Benson, are already trademarked
- Taylor's cats have been featured on merch
- Bestselling album of 2017
- Sold 1.22 million copies in its first week
- Fourth time Taylor Swift sold over 1 million albums in one week (She was the first artist in Nielsen Music history to do so.)
- Top singles: "Look What You Made Me Do," "…Ready for it?," "End Game," "Delicate," "New Year’s Day"
- Almost five years after Taylor Swift's Rolling Stone cover story where she talks about a celebrity frenemy
- "She did something so horrible. I was like, 'Oh, we're just straight-up enemies.'"
- Four years after "Bad Blood" dropped
- Video criticized for making the supposed "gay anthem" about the Taylor and Katy reconciliation instead of LGBTQ+ rights