A list of all the best women in prison movies ever made. The movies on this list of women in prison films have two things in common: they have scenes taken place in prison and there happen to be women in those prisons. This list contains the best women in prison movies of all time, as voted on by fans of the films This women in prison films movie list can be sorted alphabetically, by director, by year and more, but is currently ordered from best to worst. Make this one count by downvoting the worst movies on this list, then check out and rank the best TV shows about women in prison.
These are the top films that take place primarily in a women's prison. The genre may not be as large as other, but there are still plenty of great movies about women and girls going to jail. While the setting and the characters may be different than typical movies that take place in prison, female prison movies still share many of the same motiffs and themes of the genre in general.
What's better, Escape from Hell or Women in Cellblock 9? The films on this list cover the most famous female prison movies. If we missed any movies that feature women how are incarcerated on this list, please add them to the list yourself.
Whether you're at home and want to watch these women in prison movies on DVD, streaming Blu-ray or streaming, or if you're seeing them in theaters for the first time, this is a list of good women in prison movies that can be helpful in either situation to see where they all stack up. So from the latest, to the greatest women in prison movies, here is the full women in prison movies list, ordered from best to worst.
- 16058Women in Cellblock 9 is a 1977 Swiss film directed by Spanish director Jesus Franco, starring Howard Vernon and Karine Gambier. Its main theme is women in prison. Unlike most of Franco's work this remains banned in the United Kingdom due to large amounts of sexual violence, and as one of the lead actresses in many of the sex scenes was 16 at the time the film was made. The film was rejected by the British Board of Film Classification when submitted in 2004 and has since not been successfully appealed.... more on Wikipedia
- Actors: Howard Vernon
- Released: 1977
- Directed by: Jesús Franco
- Ladies They Talk About is a 1933 Pre-Code American crime drama directed by Howard Bretherton and William Keighley, and starring Barbara Stanwyck, Preston Foster, and Lyle Talbot. Based on the play Women in Prison by Dorothy Mackaye and Carlton Miles, the film is about an attractive woman who is a member of a bank-robbery gang. She confesses her crime to an acquaintance, who sends her to prison because he loves her.... more on Wikipedia
- Actors: Barbara Stanwyck, Lillian Roth, Preston Foster, Maude Eburne, Lyle Talbot
- Released: 1933
- Directed by: Howard Bretherton, William Keighley
- 37378An American woman (Pam Grier) is convicted of murder in the Philippines and sentenced to a grim women’s prison in the jungle, where she and the other prisoners rise up against an abusive and sadistic warden.... more on Wikipedia
- Actors: Pam Grier, Sid Haig, Christiane Schmidtmer, Jack Davis, Roberta Collins
- Released: 1971
- Directed by: Jack Hill
- 43026Caged Fury is a 1989 women in prison film about a group of prisoners who decide to escape from an all-female prison. The film was directed by Bill Milling, and stars Erik Estrada and James Hong.... more on Wikipedia
- Actors: Janine Lindemulder, Ron Jeremy, Erik Estrada, Jack Carter, James Hong
- Released: 1989
- Directed by: Bill Milling