No matter how much time or money producers put into a movie, there's just no guaranteeing it will be a success-- critically or financially. For studios hoping for big wins there's no more crucial time that a movie's debut weekend. Whatever the cause, these unsuccessful movies had the worst film debuts in history. Information on this list is based on box office data from the revenue tracking site Box Office Mojo.
- Photo: Freestyle Releasing
Never heard of this 2012 children's film? You're not alone. The movie cost $20 million to produce but brought in just over $500,000 during its opening weekend. The film appeared on 2,160 screens.
- Actors: Christopher Lloyd, Jaime Pressly, Toni Braxton, Cloris Leachman, Chazz Palminteri
- Released: 2012
- Directed by: Matthew Diamond
DelgoPhoto: Freestyle Releasing
Another animated box office bomb. Delgo took in just $511,920 in its debut weekend and appeared on 2,160 screens. The $40 million production was criticized for its lack of imagination, lackluster animation, and non-dimensional characters.
- Actors: Jennifer Love Hewitt, Val Kilmer, Burt Reynolds, Kelly Ripa, Malcolm McDowell
- Released: 2008
- Directed by: Marc F. Adler, Jason Maurer
- Photo: Warner Bros.
Perhaps Zac Efron has lost his target demo? The former Disney star definitely needed more friends to come out and support his coming of age music drama about a DJ looking for the next monster track. The movie grossed just $1.8 million despite being played in 2,333 theaters in the United States.
- Actors: Zac Efron, Emily Ratajkowski, Wes Bentley
- Released: 2015
- Directed by: Max Joseph
- Photo: Summit Entertainment
P2, a 2007 horror film with absolutely no bite, grossed a little over $2 million in its opening weekend, and appeared on 2,131 screens.
- Actors: Rachel Nichols, Wes Bentley, Paul Sun Hyung Lee, Simon Reynolds, Grace Lynn Kung
- Released: 2007
- Directed by: Franck Khalfoun