Some horror films do their job a little too well, whether it’s pushing the limits of body horror or adding mind-bending story twists so shocking that a sanity break is desperately needed. While everyone might have that one film they saw in their youth that plagued them with nightmares for weeks, the films on this list have had a ubiquitous effect on audiences.
Of course, every good scary film should endeavor to keep viewers invested while they're white-knuckling the armrests, but that's a delicate line to walk. Push too hard, and the film alienates viewers; push too little, and it's lost in a sea of half-baked, forgettable horror flicks. This list will dive into those moments that made us look away or hit pause out of pure instinct - because some things are truly too disturbing to behold.
- 1524 VOTESPhoto: Starz Home Entertainment
- 2421 VOTESPhoto: IFC Midnight
- 3315 VOTESPhoto: Anchor Bay Films
- 4261 VOTESPhoto: MGM Distribution Co.
- 5232 VOTESPhoto: Nordisk Film Distribution
- 6246 VOTESPhoto: Bounty Films