• Lifestyle

The 30 Worst Things About Working in Retail

List RulesVote for your least favorite aspects of working retail and add your own pet peeves.

This list of the worst things about working in retail stores includes some of the awful things that happen to people employed in retail. The retail world is a tough place. Retail, for most, is not a fun job. In fact it can be down right miserable. There are many times retail employees are day dreaming about having one of these best jobs in the world or these fun jobs that pay well. Because when it comes to working retail, almost anything will make you say, "I hate working retail."

Retail employees have a difficult job, and it's hard to understand if you haven't experienced it first hand. The expectations are always high and generally come from a corporate office that does not know what it is like to work on a sales floor. Not only do retail employees have to clean, stock, and maintain a store, they have to balance constant customer service, ringing a register, and some insane customers. While there are many positive things about a retail career and plenty of fun retail jobs, that's another list - this is a ranking of the worst aspects of working in stores.
Photo:
  • 1
    2871 VOTES

    Customers Who Keep Shopping Past Closing

    Photo: uploaded by ejlinehan
    "No, please continue shopping. I love being here 45 minutes later than I should be because you want to keep looking and then spend $11."
    2,613
    258
    Is this the worst?
  • 2
    2684 VOTES

    Parents Who Let Their Kids Treat the Store Like a Playground

    Video: YouTube
    These are the type of parents who pretend to be shocked when their kid has an accident that makes the news.
    2,443
    241
    Is this the worst?
  • 3
    2981 VOTES

    People

    Photo: uploaded by ejlinehan
    10% of customers are great people. The other 90% slowly force you to hate humanity.
    2,684
    297
    Is this the worst?
  • 4
    2374 VOTES

    Customers Complaining About Price

    Photo: uploaded by ejlinehan
    It's a chain store. Not a mom and pop. Their prices are not negotiable. And if they do "hook you up," it flags in the system and they are fired. But hey, you saved $5!
    2,149
    225
    Is this the worst?