Photo:

People Reveal The Nastiest Things They've Ever Found In Their Food At A Restaurant

Going out to eat can sometimes be a really great experience, and sometimes it can be truly horrifying. However, among all the terrible things that happen in restaurants, the worst are often the times when people bite into their meals only to find that their food wasn't actually food. Here's a collection of restaurant horror stories gathered from Reddit, and it contains the worst things people have found in restaurant food.

Some of the worst things people accidentally ate at restaurants range from cat fur to disgusting bugs to gross bandages. There’s no end to the the truly gross things in people’s food, and it’s enough to put anyone off from eating out for the rest of their lives. Bon appétit!

Photo:

  • Clumps Of Fur From A Dead Cat

    From Redditor /u/WomblesMama:

    "My uncle is a health inspector in rural Australia. He got several complaints about a fish n chips shop in a small town in Victoria, with reports of it being a bit grotty and people getting chunks of hair in their hot chips.

    So he rocks up one day unannounced on a blazing hot day in the middle of summer, and the owner greats him and shows him around wearing a white singlet top with sweat patches under the arms, short shorts and no shoes. This guys [sic] body was covered in hair. Not just on his arms and chest, but his back and neck were like a werewolf. Clearly, this must be the source of the hair in the chips. My uncle decides to make a tactful comment about having wear appropriate clothes when working, so as to protect against hot oil burns.

    After seeing the property and giving a few basic suggestions, the only other thing he notices that needs immediate attention is the deep fryer itself. The oil is old and filthy, and likely full of this guys [sic] hair, so he orders the bloke to drain it out right then and there. The owner does so, and at the bottom of the oil vat is a dead, deep fried and crispy... cat. Totally unphased [sic], the owner simply said 'oh, that's where my cat went!'

    Turns out a few months previously the shop was having a rodent problem, so the owner bought in a cat to catch them. He thought the cat escaped overnight and ran away. Nope. Looks like little Fluffy drowned in the deep frying oil, and Mr Chippy has been frying him up over and over and over again ever since. The clumps of hair locals were complaining about weren't from the half-man-half-wolf owner, but the fur and flesh of a dead cat."

  • Rat Poison

    From Redditor /u/Pizzadude:

    "Rat poison.

    Actually, my girlfriend is a health inspector, so it was a tough choice for the worst, but when she found people handling a rodent issue by putting D-Con on the food, it was probably the most dangerous.

    She has also found earwigs in a bottle of rum, tons of fruit flies in assorted bottles of alcohol (screened pour spouts people!), cockroaches on and in pretty much everything possible, and more mouse and rat sh*t in and around food than you would ever want to know.

    While not working, she found a used band-aid in some McDonalds fries. Hint: if you let something like that get into a health inspector's food, you're about to have a very bad day."

  • Billions Of Maggots

    From Redditor /u/Craig5005:

    "Past food safety inspector here. Was inspecting a pizza place. They use a 'proofer' to prepare dough (think a big, warm, humid cabinet). I opened it up and a million flies flew at me. I closed the door and looked through the glass. Someone had left a tray of dough in the proofer for a very long time. The tray was filled with what seemed like a billion maggots. The dough had obviously been turned to liquid at this time. The manager of the store tried to tell me it was only left overnight. They will lie no matter what."

  • A Pubic Hair

    From Redditor /u/Cheef_q*eef:

    "Not a restaurant but there's a Harley bar in Okinawa near Camp Foster. I ordered a jack and coke and there was a hair frozen into the ice cube. It was about a foot long. As I'm holding it up, the bartender/owner looks over and without skipping a beat, says "C*nt hair, that'll cost you extra."

    I tossed it aside and finished my drink cuz I ain't no b*tch."

  • A Deep-Fried Scouring Pad

    From Redditor /u/QuidProQuo_Clarice:

    "Not in my food, but at a restaurant I worked at:

    This was one of those fried chicken fast-food places. A customer came up to me with her food tray in hand looking distressed and physically ill. I asked if I could help her with something, and she showed me the remains of her 'chicken' sandwich. The filet was oddly flat and green between the breading. Turns out one of the green industrial scouring pads (used? Who knows) had been breaded, deep-fried, and served in a sandwich. I'm still convinced that was intentional (because let's be real, how could it not be?) but the culprit was never found.

    Other notable incidents:

    -Someone put coleslaw dressing in the soft-serve ice cream machine, and this poor kid got a coleslaw cone and cried.

    -A customer asked for 'half and half coke,' which my co-worker took to mean coke mixed with half-and-half creamer

    Edit: I just recalled another incident. This was another restaurant nearby where a new guy sweetened the iced tea with some sort of cleaning powder that apparently resembled sugar. The woman was hospitalized. It made local news and our restaurant owner sent an email to everyone stressing the importance of not killing our patrons."

  • A Safety Pin

    From Redditor /u/meowzmeow:

    "Technically this was at a movie theater, not a restaurant. I was with my family at the local movie theater and we had gotten there a little early. I was munching away on my popcorn without a care in the world, waiting for the lights to dim and the previews to start. I had been talking to my parents while shoveling the popcorn into my mouth when my mom stopped mid-sentence and grabbed my arm to stop me. She exclaimed, 'what is that??' We stared down at the kernel in my hand and could barely make out something small and round on it, but it was hard to make out as it was covered in that yellow powdery popcorn seasoning. At first glance, we thought it may have been a bug but we realized it was actually the cap of an OPEN SAFETY PIN with a piece of popcorn wedged into it! Thankfully the lights were still on or I would have blindly shoved the entire thing in my mouth. We now get free popcorn/snacks for life at this theater. They know us as the 'safety pin' family."