Here comes the film bride, all dressed in... a horrible white dress. Romantic comedies usually end with the key couple living happily ever after, because it's romantic tragedy unless we see gorgeous actors hate at first sight before falling in love, go on last-minute chases through airports, and walk down a petal-strewn aisle, or at least kiss on top of a building.
When the bride says yes to the guy or gal, she's also saying yes to wearing a dress that will be a key costume choice. Her gown might be purposely tacky, with excess lace, an unflattering cut, or an unfortunate pairing with boots. And sometimes costume designers create gowns they hope will grace the cover of a bridal magazine and make audiences drool. Intentionally or not, some of these dresses are best banished to the back of a moth-ridden closet.
Some viewers might disagree with the worst rom-com wedding dress choices here. Look closely before you defend a gown, however. Uma Thurman's dress in The Accidental Tourist, for example, is fine until you notice the belt. And poofy short sleeves never looked beautifully bridal, even in the '80s.
- The Proposal is a 2009 American romantic comedy film set in Sitka, Alaska. Directed by Anne Fletcher and written by Peter Chiarelli, the film features Sandra Bullock and Ryan Reynolds in the leading roles, with Betty White, Mary Steenburgen, and Craig T. Nelson in supporting roles. The film was produced by Mandeville Films and released on June 19, 2009, in North America by Touchstone Pictures. The plot centers on a Canadian woman, Margaret Tate, who learns that she may face deportation charges because of her expired visa. Determined to retain her position as executive chief, Tate convinces her assistant, Andrew Paxton, to temporarily act as her fiancé. Initially planning on resuming their... more on Wikipedia
21223Is this hideous?
- Actors: Sandra Bullock, Ryan Reynolds, Betty White, Malin Åkerman, Mary Steenburgen
- Released: 2009
- Directed by: Anne Fletcher
Betsy Hopper's Dress In 'Betsy's Wedding'Photo: Buena Vista PicturesBetsy's Wedding is a 1990 American romantic-comedy film written, directed by and starring Alan Alda. It co-stars Molly Ringwald, Ally Sheedy, Madeline Kahn, Joey Bishop, Joe Pesci, Anthony LaPaglia, Burt Young and Catherine O'Hara.... more on Wikipedia
19718Is this hideous?
- Actors: Samuel L. Jackson, Joe Pesci, Molly Ringwald, Alan Alda, Catherine O'Hara
- Released: 1990
- Directed by: Alan Alda
- Photo: TriStar PicturesMy Best Friend's Wedding is a 1997 American romantic comedy film directed by P.J. Hogan. When a woman's long-time friend (Dermot Mulroney) reveals he's engaged, she (Julia Roberts) realizes she loves him herself and sets out to get him, with only days before the wedding.... more on Wikipedia
15141Is this hideous?
- Actors: Julia Roberts, Dermot Mulroney, Rupert Everett, Cameron Diaz, Paul Giamatti
- Released: 1997
- Directed by: P. J. Hogan
- Photo: New Line CinemaThis film is a 2008 American blue romantic comedy film written and directed by Michael Patrick King, and a film adaptation of the HBO comedy series of the same name about four female friends: Carrie Bradshaw, Samantha Jones, Charlotte York Goldenblatt, and Miranda Hobbes, dealing with their lives as single women in New York City. The series often portrayed frank discussions about romance. The world premiere took place at Leicester Square, London, on May 15, 2008, and premiered on May 28, 2008, in the United Kingdom and May 30, 2008, in the United States.... more on Wikipedia
18767Is this hideous?
- Actors: Sarah Jessica Parker, Jennifer Hudson, Kim Cattrall, Candice Bergen, Kristin Davis
- Released: 2008
- Directed by: Michael Patrick King